Pre-Application is the first part of the City of Surrey Land Development Process.
Developers and the City of Surrey both have key tasks in the Pre-Application Phase. Key tasks include bylaw and policy review, development team setup, the Pre-Application Meeting and often the Pre-Engineering Review. Keep track of your progress with the Minimum Land Development Application Submission Requirements.
Find details specific to your application in these application procedure overviews for the most common types of applications:
- Land Development Application Overview
- Development Permits
- Rezoning Your Property
- Subdividing Your Property
- Setting Up A Licensed Child Care Facility
Development Fees are outlined in the Land Development Application Fee Schedule
1. Review the City’s Land Development Bylaws, Policies and Guidelines
Your development proposal must comply with all of the City of Surrey’s land use bylaws, policies and guidelines and work within City zoning.
You will likely get approvals more quickly if your development application complies with all of these City regulations.
Your specific type of development may have additional considerations:
- Agricultural Policies
- Designing Neighbourly Homes
- Heritage Sites
- Infill Subdivision
- Liquor License Application Process
- Truck Parking
2. Set up your Development Team
Developers must determine the professionals that may be required as part of a Surrey land development project team. You’ll also determine which services are required at which stage of the process, and the costs associated with each member of the project team. Members of the project team typically include:
- Planning consultant
- Professional Engineer (e.g. civil, transportation, geotechnical, etc.)
- Architect or building designer
- Project manager
- Arborist and/or landscape architect
- Environmental consultant (e.g. Registered Professional Biologist)
- Heritage Consultant Certified Professional (building permit drawings)
- Construction manager
3. Book and attend a Pre-Application Meeting
Pre-Application Meetings help identify key issues early on in the development process. We will explain the Surrey land development process specific to your project during the Pre-Application Meeting. We’ll also give early feedback on your application during and after the meeting.
Booking your Pre-Application Meeting
When you book your meeting, you need to provide your:
- Subject site address(es)
- Description of the development proposal
- Preliminary site plan and/or subdivision plan
Call 604-591-4448 or come to Surrey City Hall's 2nd floor counter to book your pre-application meeting with the appropriate Area Planning Division.
4. Request and receive Pre-Engineering Review (optional)
You can choose to request a summary of the Preliminary Engineering Information for your project before you submit your Development Application. A Pre-Engineering Review will show you what the engineering servicing requirements could be before you make a development application.
If you submit your Land Development Application for the same site within 18 months of when the Pre-Engineering Information's completed, your Pre-Engineering Review Fee will be credited towards your Engineering Processing Fee.
Requesting your Pre-Engineering Review
Email your completed Application for Preliminary Engineering Information or drop it off at Surrey City Hall's 2nd floor counter with your application fee.
Learn the Pre-Engineering Review Fee in Schedule B of Surrey Subdivision & Development By-law No. 8830
Next phase of the Land Development Process: Submit your Land Development Application.