Parks, Recreation & Culture Strategic Plan
Surrey is a city abundant with parks, recreational facilities, and a vibrant arts, cultural and heritage community. The City's Parks, Recreation & Culture (PRC) Department helps to plan and operate many of these amenities. To build on these assets, and to meet the needs of a diverse and growing community, the City is now updating its Parks, Recreation & Culture (PRC) Strategic Plan.
The PRC Plan will:
- Set Direction: The PRC plan will identify the greatest needs and opportunities, and set our direction for the next decade. We need to update it because:
- Growth: We're expecting 100,000 new residents over the next 10 years. The PRC Plan will accommodate these residents while responding to our community’s changing interests.
- Guide Investment: The PRC Plan will help determine important funding and infrastructure decisions, and determine where and how money should be spent.
Tell us what matters to you
Check out an Idea Fair, workshop, or complete an online survey (coming soon). Participate to win a $500 shopping spree to Guildford Town Centre!
You can also subscribe to our eNews below stay up to date with the latest news about the PRC Plan's progress.
Join us at a fun, family-friendly event to learn more and share your ideas for the future of PRC.
March 14 to March 25, 2017
Dive deeper into the PRC issues that matter most to you at the PRC Plan Workshops.
April 1 to April 3, 2017
- Phase 1 - Getting Started
- Phase 2 - Background & Context
- Phase 3 - Community Engagement
- Step 1 (March-April), the process begins with fun and interactive public idea fairs, workshops and pop-up events across the City. Join us as we explore early ideas, issues and priorities.
- Complete an online survey (coming soon)
- Step 2 (April-June), we will dive deeper and discuss key priorities and directions with additional workshops and pop-up events.
- Step 3 (June-July), we will use your feedback to develop key elements of the plan and check back to make sure we are on the right track.
- Phase 4 - Plan Development & Approval
Phase 1 - Getting Started
July to December 2016
This phase included assigning a project team, briefing committees, scheduling, hiring consultants and budgeting.
Phase 2 - Background & Context
October 2016 to February 2017
This phase included an inventory of PRC facilities and services to benchmark current service levels. We also studied Surrey's population & demographic data and reviewed best practices & trends in preparation for the community engagement phase.
Phase 3 - Community Engagement
March to July 2017
There are a variety of meaningful events and activities to get involved and help shape the new PRC Strategic Plan, including idea fairs, world cafe style workshops and online surveys. Share your ideas with us now:
More events to come! Check back soon for more information on upcoming events or subscribe below to our eNews to stay up-to-date about engagement opportunities.
Phase 4 - Plan Development & Approval
August 2017 to March 2018
Starting in late summer, we will finalize the plan and present it to Council for a March 2018 approval.
For more information about the project, please contact us: