Heritage Sites in South Surrey
The Lambert Residence is an excellent and rare example of Postmodern architecture in Surrey.
Formed part of a 22 mile rail line, now forming part of a City Park. (See Heritage Site # 216)
Following a portion of the original alignment of the Semiahmoo Trail from the Fraser River to the Nicomekl River, this road was renamed to K [...]
This waterfront lot was acquired by Charles A. Welsh in 1914, and the house was built shortly afterwards. By 1927, the property had been acq [...]
Built c. 1938-39, this Classical Revival house was built for William Mackie by the Barton Brothers. The house was owned by the Mackie family [...]
Built c.1925 in Vernacular style featuring two front cross gables, shed roof dormers, open rake, boxed eaves and detailed wooden front door.
Tudor style and French farmhouse influence, built c. 1935 featuring large uncut stone chimney in front, decorative truss on front gable, boa [...]
The colourful and decorative barn is located at the end of 74 Avenue east of 192 Street. Built c.1920, featuring decorative dormers, and re- [...]
See Brooksdale Estate in Surrey, Constructed in 1933 to the designs of prominent architect Ross Lort.
Learn about the Coach House on Brooksdale Estate, constructed in 1933 to the designs of prominent architect Ross Lort.
Discover Brooksdale Estate, constructed in 1933 to the designs of prominent architect Ross Lort.
Summer residence built by David and Euphemia Byers c. 1922. Unusual side gabled form with full open front veranda, multi-pane casement windo [...]
A modernistic addition to the camp built in 1955 as a preschool with volunteer labour from the Kinsmen, since raised to accommodate a new gr [...]
Built in 1920 as part of the Alexandra Orphanage established in 1918. Full width enclosed front porch with skirt roof continuous with upper [...]
The earliest of the camp's buildings, dating from 1918. Bungalow style featuring porch under principal roof, exposed rafters, sloping side c [...]
Built in 1919 in bungalow style. Porch under principal roof, central rear projection with gable on hipped roof, exposed rafters, sloping sid [...]
Craftsman bungalow style built in 1928. Features open rake, open eaves, exposed rafters and triangular brackets on dormers.
Built c. 1931 as a summer residence for Canon Holdom, priest at Holy Trinity Church in Crescent Beach from 1920 to 1925, who retired to Cres [...]
Folk Victorian style house built in 1914, featuring wide corbelled brick chimney located on ridge of intersection of cross gables, narrow gl [...]
Gothic revival style with Tudor influences, featuring pitched front-gabled main roof, shallow arch main door centred as enclosed front porch [...]
Craftsman style built c. 1920 featuring battered stone veneer piers and stone chimney, one-storey gabled protrusion on right side, side gabl [...]
Combines folk Victoria with Queen Anne detailing, two-storey side gabled with rear two-storey cross-gabled wing. Built in 1889, featuring fi [...]
Land donated by Surrey pioneer Benjamin Stevenson in 1916 on condition that it be cleared for a school. It opened in 1918, and is the only o [...]
The last remaining example of road work completed by Surrey's pioneer engineers, constructed between 1910 and 1923 following the natural con [...]
View this house built 1907 in the Elgin heritage area.
Built c. 1916 with foundation made up of stone gathered on site or from former Royal Engineers fort on Canada-U.S. border.
Common 20th C. barn design, featuring exposed rafters, projecting roof peak over sliding hay loft doors, two gabled dormers on each side and [...]
Vernacular style, small shed built c. 1940 for the Dunsmuirs. Features small vent on roof, boxed eaves with front wall set back to create wi [...]
Built c. 1910 with additions in 1930s and 1960s, no discernible style. Land originally owned by Walter Blackie, after whom Blackie Spit is n [...]
Vernacular style, likely built to house hired farm help, c. 1925. The property is the remaining vestige of Crescent Beach as a pioneer farm [...]
A one-room schoolhouse was built on this site in 1907, and this larger school was built in 1924. It is a common two-room school, elevated to [...]
One of the oldest community halls in Surrey, built in 1923 in the plain homestead tradition by the Elgin Community Association with land don [...]
Built in 1921 as the first school for the community of Elgin to replace the condemned Mud Bay School. Vernacular style wood frame with ribbo [...]
Style drawing on a romanticized image of a pioneer log cabin, with wraparound porch taken from Victorian examples, shed dormers and untreate [...]
This one-room schoolhouse, located behind the main school, is one of only two one-room schools on its original site in Surrey that is used f [...]
In 1916, the site was acquired by Henry Eastman, likely the builder of this Craftsman cottage. Features shed roof dormers, wood sash casemen [...]
In 1908, this property was acquired by Sveinn Brynjolfson, who sold it to Henry Major in 1930. The Craftsman bungalow was built around that [...]
The third Hall's Prairie school built c. 1927, with a single hipped roof mass and large expanses of ribbon windows in standard style of the [...]
Octagonal wellhouse built some time before 1923, fine details feature double slope octagonal roof with cupola vent and finial at peak.
Located adjacent to Little Campbell River, with earliest graves dating from the turn of the century. Appears to have been officially establi [...]
Carpenter Gothic style, front gabled steep pitch roof, with vestibule, pointed arch ribbon windows. Built in 1903 to serve the surrounding f [...]
Built c. 1910 - 1925 in Craftsman style, featuring ribbon windows, exposed rafter ends, double entrance doors, pedimented gable with square [...]
Built in 1946 in Carpenter Gothic style. Features front gabled roof with dormer vents and hipped steeple roof, covered entrance porch with p [...]
Pioneer Utilitarian style front gabled farm house built c. 1920, with shed roof dormer, boxed eaves, side bay window, and covered front porc [...]
In 1917, this property was part of the larger holdings of F.J. Hart & Co., acquired by Williams James Whiteside. It was later acquired by Jo [...]
Built c. 1900-1910, the original portion of this pioneer house was a simple front gable structure with a veranda, since been removed. A larg [...]
See the John Horner House, built in Surrey circa 1925, and part of Surrey's Heritage Register.
Folk Victorian farmhouse built in 1894 featuring wraparound porch under hipped roof supported by simple wood posts, parallel gabled dormer o [...]
Craftsman style school built in 1914, with detailing covered over by stucco. Side gables with centred cross gables at front and rear entranc [...]
Form and details inspired by the Craftsman style, built c. 1922. Window head casings flare at top, open rake and eaves, and the low roof lin [...]
Built shortly after the Larsen House in either 1936 or 1937, designed by Niels Larsen. Originally used as a shed for farm implements and woo [...]
Eclectic style, craftsman influenced, built c. 1935, featuring front centred chamfered cross gable projecting out from main facade, triangul [...]
This property was acquired in 1926 by John Lee from John Stewart. This modest bungalow was likely built shortly afterwards by Lee, who owned [...]
See a simple vernacular log house built sometime after 1922, when the property was acquired by Albert Holliday.
Primarily Craftsman style with company cottage influences. Built c. 1906, featuring wide overhanging closed eaves, small gable on hipped roo [...]
Built in 1918 and added to in 1936 after the property was acquired by James and Nora McKettrick. This modest early Craftsman bungalow, featu [...]
Built in 1883 in the style common to schools of that era with hipped roof and windows with plain casings and horn details on bottom of upper [...]
Built in 1914 in the Craftsman style, featuring full open front veranda with tapered square columns, alternating narrow and wide shingle cla [...]
Pioneer house built c. 1890 in late Victorian style, extension built c. 1916 as main house with broader and taller massing common to Edwardi [...]
See the historical hall built in 1925 to serve the social, educational and recreational needs of Ocean Park.
The Peace Arch stands as a representation of the lasting friendship between Canada and the United States. In 1914, Samuel Hill, famed Washin [...]
Built in a rustic style reminiscent of US Parks Service buildings, these two structures are a highly visible part of Peace Arch Park. Their [...]
Large boulder deposited by glacial activity.
This park was once the home of David Brown, first postmaster and later a Justice of the Peace for B.C. Contains a variety of tree species fr [...]
Built c. 1913 in Craftsman style featuring side gabled open rake roof with front and rear shed dormers, triangular roof brackets, front and [...]
Variation of late Victorian stick style built c. 1890 with a later addition c. 1900-1920 in Ontario Farmhouse style. Earlier section feature [...]
Craftsman style 1½ storey built in 1915 featuring triangular shaped eyebrow dormer at front and shed roof dormer at rear, scissored verge bo [...]
The Arts and Crafts style home built circa 1915 is part of a grouping of early houses along the waterfront at Crescent Beach. Originally two [...]
Built c.1917, featuring exposed rafters, flat top hipped roof between lower and upper floor, full width front porch, rear roof extends over [...]
The property was acquired in 1919 by Aurillia Hale Saunders, wife of Edward Herbert Saunders. They likely built the house shortly afterwards [...]
Used as early as 1858 during the Gold Rush as an overland entry route for Americans attempting to avoid the official licensing cost and mine [...]
See one of the earliest churches associated with the historic White Rock community.
The land was acquired by David Brown in 1889, and in 1928 was acquired by Isabella Shields and Margaret Stewart. Built c. 1935, the house is [...]
Built c.1900, vernacular building originally used to house farm workers.
Built c.1920, unstyled vernacular single car garage featuring hinged double doors.
Built c. 1900, unstyled vernacular structure, originally used as a grain shed.
Unstyled vernacular barn, built c. 1900 by or for John Stewart. Gabled, rectangular central volume with lower, half-hipped lean-to structure [...]
One of the earlier farm structures. Featuring fieldstone foundation, plank door on north elevation framed in stone. Built c. 1894 to store p [...]
Built c.1900, vernacular structure with craftsman influence. Features triangular eave brackets, hinged double doors.
One of the earlier farm structures, built c. 1894. Large rectangular opening without doors, upper corners chamfered.
The wood frame farmhouse is a fine example of more elaborate Victorian architecture from 1894, featuring a large veranda on the south and ea [...]
Built c. 1922 on land purchased by Cecily May Stuart. It was acquired by Edward Gill in 1939 and is still owned by members of the Gill famil [...]
Built in 1910, positioned to face the water, this is a less common example of shingle style house featuring shed and gable dormers, extended [...]
Craftsman bungalow style built c. 1920. French doors on full width front porch with shed roof supported by square posts with curved knee bra [...]
William Whiteside was a barrister and solicitor based in New Westminster, as well as a trustee of a syndicate of New Westminster investors w [...]
Combines Arts & Crafts, Classical Revival and Tudor Cottage styles. Built c.1930 featuring chamfered gables with secondary lower gable on we [...]
Style mixes wide squat Craftsman massing, with Victorian-influenced wraparound veranda supported by Classical revival Doric columns, side ga [...]