Enhanced Maintenance Program
In an attempt to expand the "Home Park / Home Field" concept with our outdoor sporting community that participates in the fall/winter playing season, the City is seeking interested groups to cost share on annual enhanced sports field renovation maintenance. This enhanced maintenance work returns natural grass sports fields to their optimum performance level, allowing for improved playing surfaces throughout the fall/winter playing season.
Below is the service level for sports field renovations that the City can provide with present funding sources:
- Excavation, fill, and leveling of worn goal areas, sidelines and centre field with USGA specified washed sand.
- Annual core aerification (consisting of 9 inch hollow tines, 1 inch in diameter pulling very large cores on a 6 inch centre)
- Overseeding with perennial rye grass at 8 pounds per 1000 sq. ft. in high wear areas only
The Enhanced Maintenance Program consists of the following activities:
- Excavation, fill and leveling of worn goal areas, sidelines and centre field with USGA specified washed sand.
- Bi-annual core aerification (consisting of 9 inch hollow tines, 1 inch in diameter pulling very large cores on a 6 inch centre)
- Top dressing of complete playing surface with 80 tonnes of washed USGA specified sand to fill small holes and level the playing surface. Top dressing also increases turf health and density, maximizing playability.
- Overseeding with perennial rye grass at 12 pounds per 1000 sq. ft. of complete playing surface
The cost of the enhanced program is $1,500 for soccer and football pitches and $1,900 for rugby pitches. This program will not necessarily guarantee the elimination of periodic closures during periods of very poor weather during the fall/winter playing season, but it will help to reduce the number of closures as well as provide higher quality playing surfaces throughout the playing season.
If your organization is interested in partnering with the city on this enhanced renovation maintenance program, please contact the Athletic Services Coordinator at (604) 501-5174 for more details.