Skip navigation

Requirements to Operate a Food Truck in Surrey

The following are the requirements to operate at festivals and events held on City Land:

  • Permit to Operate from the Fraser Health Authority.  If you only have a Vancouver Coastal Health Authority permit, you still need to apply for a temporary permit with the FHA.
  • If you have onsite employees, provide a clearance letter from Work Safe BC confirming that your account is currently active and in good standing.
  • Fire Safety Inspection - The City of Surrey Fire Services will need to inspect your unit. The approval is good for the calendar year. Inspection is conducted at Fire Hall #1 (8767 – 132 Street).  Hours are between 7:30am to 9:30am, Monday to Friday.  No appointment is necessary. Alternatively, they will accept an approval from another Fire Department within British Columbia. This approval must be for the current calendar year. Email documentation to
  • Electrical Permit – only required if you are using a portable generator that is not affixed to the truck and your generator is over 5000W.  To apply for a permit, you must visit the front counter of the Planning & Development Department located at City Hall (13450 – 104 Ave). Also, under section 21(1) of the Electrical Safety Regulation, electrical equipment in your truck must bear evidence of either a mark or a label of a certification agency accredited by the Standards Council of Canada or an approval label issued by the British Columbia Safety Authority under section 10 of the Safety Standards Act.  Please see the Approved Certification Marks for accepted approval marks or labels.
    For additional information, you can contact the Electrical Section directly at 604-591-4240.
  • Gas Approval Requirements - Please review the Equipment Gas Requirements to ensure that your vending unit meets the British Columbia Safety Authority's gas requirements. 
  • Insurance Coverage in the amount of a minimum $5,000,000.  The policy must name the City of Surrey as an additional insured.
  • Surrey Business License. To apply for, and receive, a Surrey Business License for your mobile food vending unit, please visit the Bylaw and Licensing Department, at City Hall, located at 13450 – 104 Avenue. You will require a letter of authorization from Sukhi Bahia, the Business Systems Coordinator, to present to the Bylaw and Licensing Department, when applying for the Licence.  Sukhi can be reached at or 604-501-5046.  Before he issues you this letter, you must provide him proof that all applicable requirements above are met.

For more information, please contact Sukhi Bahia at or 604-501-5046.