Early Years Avenues of Change: Guildford West
With no support, vulnerable children are more likely not to graduate, find a job or follow the law. In Guildford West, children are almost 10% more likely to have this future than the rest of Surrey kids. This affects not just the kids and their families, but all of us. That’s why the Early Years - United Way Avenues of Change program is part of our public safety strategy.
In the program, children and their families will:
- learn about mental health wellness and stress reduction tools,
- meet with other parents to share experiences and resources,
- attend early literacy activities, and
- receive early childhood and family check-ins to make sure kids are meeting developmental milestones.
United Way Avenues of Change is the first of its kind in BC with one absolute objective: to see more kids ready to succeed by the time they start school. Guildford West of one of four Metro Vancouver neighbourhoods with this pilot program and is funded by United Way.
If you do not live in Guildford West, check out Recreation Surrey for early learning programs in your neighbourhood.
How we'll measure success:
- Increase number of parents reporting improved access to services, knowledge and feeling of empowerment
- Increase in number of successful referrals of parents and children to community resources
- Improved use of assessment tools to assess changes in child wellbeing
Early Years United Avenues of Change Partners
- United Way of the Lower Mainland
- Fraser Health
- Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Surrey School District
- Surrey Libraries
Take part in the I Care About Our Surrey campaign to show how we're #SaferTogether.