Message from the Fire Chief
Surrey is a strong vibrant city – the second largest in B.C. and the 12th largest in Canada. We’re also one of the fastest-growing cities in the province and in our country, with hundreds of new residents moving here each month.
That kind of growth brings its own unique challenges. Surrey Fire Service aggressively tackles these challenges with a creative, modern approach that embraces best practices, evidence-based decision-making, long-range planning, and cooperation between departments and agencies.
Our initiatives have included:
- Reducing public safety risks and drug crimes through Electrical and Fire Safety Inspections of marijuana grow operations (an award-winning program now widely used in Metro Vancouver).
- Reducing residential fires and identifying human trafficking cases through the HomeSafe program.
- More efficient deployment of apparatus and staff through an automated planning tool.
- Reducing staffing costs through a program that closely manages staff absenteeism,
- Reducing duplication in vehicle accident responses through cooperation with Surrey RCMP.
- Improving response to high-rise fires through research and best practices.
Look for more information about these and other initiatives on the Fire Chief’s Page.
These are challenging economic times. With the City’s support, Surrey Fire Service will continue to seek out innovative approaches that will enhance our service and keep our community safe, while improving efficiencies and managing costs.