Understanding Your Property Taxes
Property taxes are one of the ways the City of Surrey collects revenue to pay for City services. The amount you pay is based on the funds Surrey needs to provide City services each year and your property assessment.
These services include:
- public safety and city infrastructure,
- road maintenance and waste collection,
- parks and recreation facilities and
- emergency and fire services.
Learn more about where your tax dollars went in 2016's Report to Citizens.
Your yearly property assessment is done by BC Assessment. Your property notice is sent out out at the beginning of the year by BC Assessment. The notice shows you the assessed value of your property as of July 1 of the previous year. Learn more about property assessment.
Visit the BC Assessment website for complete details on key assessment dates you need to know.
You can also view assessment, legal description, tax and utility levy information related to properties located in the city online.
2016 Property Tax Rate Schedule
Tax Rates (per thousand dollars of assessed value)
|Residential (Class 1)||Utilities (Class 2)||Major Industry (Class 4)||Light Industry (Class 5)||Business (Class 6)||Recreational Non-Profit (Class 8)||Farm (Class 9)|
|Local Roads & Traffic Levy||0.17933||2.53598||0.82551||0.45582||0.51436||0.18095||0.20795|
|Greater Vancouver Regional District||0.05103||0.17861||0.17350||0.17350||0.12502||0.05103||0.05103|
|Municipal Finance Authority||0.00020||0.00070||0.00070||0.00070||0.00050||0.00020||0.00020|
Previous Tax Rates
See tax rates for previous years:
Get a Tax Certificate
Apply for a tax certificate for conveyancing purposes from one of the following:
- Online through BC Online. You can also contact BC Online at 250-953-8250 or toll-free within BC at 1-800-663-6102.
- Online at myLTSA Enterprise through BC Land Title & Survey
- Online through Access Point Information Canada
- Non-registered owners may purchase a Tax Certificate in person at Surrey City Hall for $35, payable in cash, debit or cheque.
Contact the Property Taxes and Utilities office or reach us by phone at 604-591-4181 for questions on property taxes and utilities in Surrey