Skip navigation

Take-Back Programs


Return your old computer, popped tire or broken toaster to a drop-off center located in Surrey. These Take-Back or Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) programs safely dispose of potentially hazardous products, keeping them out of Surrey's waste stream and municipal landfills.

Explore our list of items you can take back in Surrey. You can also call the Recycling Hotline at 604-RECYCLE (604-732-9253) or use RCBC's Recyclepedia to find your nearest drop-off facility.

EPR Accepted Items

Cell phone and accessories

Recycle your old cell and its accessories at one of Recycle My Cell's drop-off locations, instead of throwing it in a drawer or into the trash.

Recycled cell phones and accessories become new mobile devices and a variety of other items.

Drink containers

Take back your beverage cans and containers to your local Return-It Depot . You'll be transforming the lives of these otherwise wasted materials!

  • Pop cans become new pop cans.
  • Juice boxes become cardboard boxes and toilet paper.
  • Pop bottles become new fleece clothing, blankets and more.
  • Glass bottles become sandblasting material or fibre glass to insulate homes.


Don't throw out your old desktop and notebook computers, printers, fax machines, or TV- take them to your nearest Return It location in Surrey . Many recycled old electronics are recycled or reused, often by schools.

Recycled old electronics become metal and reusable components.

Gasoline, pesticides, solvents and flammable liquids

Visit your closest Product Care BC Depot  to drop off your old gasoline, pesticide, solvents, or other flammable liquid.

Recycled gasoline, solvents and flammable liquids are reused, recycled or used for energy value. Pesticides are burned at government licensed facilities.

Lead acid batteries

Use Recycling Council of British Columbia's Recyclepedia to find a location to drop off your used car battery.

Recycled used lead acid batteries become:

  • New lead acid batteries and other lead products
  • Fertilizer products
  • Raw material for various molded plastic products


Find a used oil collection facility from the British Columbia Used Oil Management Association and get rid of your used oil, filters and containers.

Used oil becomes new lubricating oil products, fuel for pulp mills, cement kilns and asphalt plants. Steel from oil filters becomes rebar for construction. Plastic containers become new oil containers, drainage tiles and parking curbs.


Leftover paint is considered household hazardous waste - it's not only bad for the environment, it could be harmful to your health.

Use Recycling Council of British Columbia's Recyclepedia  to find a location to recycle your leftover paint.

Recycled leftover paint is used for concrete and cement manufacturing or asphalt production.

Small appliances and power tools

Recycle your small appliances and power tools through ElectroRecycle, BC's Small Appliance and Power Tool Recycling Program.

Drop off more than 300 types of electrical products at ElectroRecycle depot, such as:

  • Toasters
  • Electric toothbrushes
  • Countertop microwaves
  • Vacuum cleaners
  • Sewing machines
  • Handheld drills
  • Exercise equipment

To find a drop-off location near you, enter your postal code into the ElectroRecycle's Depot Locator.

Recycled appliances become other metal products. Plastics and glass are sorted and sold where possible, or reused in different manufacturing processes.


Contact Tire Stewardship BC to scrap your old tires. Over 80% of scrap tires recycled are recycled into new products.

Recycled old tires become:

  • Flooring and mats
  • Landfill construction material
  • Rubberised asphalt
  • Materials for highway construction

Make sure you put your waste in the right place - get familiar with your garbage, waste, recycling and yard waste options in Surrey.

Related Content

Collection Calendars & Waste Diversion Guides

Use your Surrey address to find your 2017 waste collection schedule.

Report a Problem or Submit a Request

Report streetlight outages, waste collection issues, make a noise complaint or request road maintenance.