Rats & Mice
The best way to deal with a rat or mouse problem in Surrey is to prevent them from coming. Signs of rats or mice include:
- tracks (eg, footprints),
- runs or burrows, or
Reporting a problem with rats and mice
Contact the right agency as soon as you notice a rat or mouse problem. Rats can cause health concerns, so it's important to do something right away.
Surrey Animal Control handles only domestic (pet) rats and mice issues. If you have an issue with domestic rats or mice, call 604-591-4370.
|Rat or Mouse Location||Contact|
|On/In your property||A wildlife control agency/Certified pest management company*|
|On City property||Report a problem online|
|In a park||Report a problem online|
|Near restaurants, grocery stores or places with food||
Vancouver Coastal Health 604-736-2033
* When you're choosing a pest control company, get recommendations from friends, family or coworkers. Also choose a company which is humane, environmentally sound and that uses modern methods.
Dealing with a rat or mouse on your property
As soon as you realize you have a rat or mouse problem, you can start by following any of the preventing rats and mice tips below. These prevention tips will help the rat or mouse problem from worsening, but it won't fix it completely.
Preventing rats and mice
There are many different things you can do to prevent rats and mice from becoming a problem. Keeping clean and blocking holes are the best ways to prevent rats and mice. Another great tip: put out cotton balls with peppermint oil - just drip four to five drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball and put the balls out where you often see the rats.
Block them from getting in
- Seal any opening you think a rat or mouse can get into - try to block any opening bigger than 1cm.
- Make sure your garage door touches the ground.
- Check your basement for cracks and holes
- Replace broken drier vents.
Keep food and waste out
Whether it's on your property or in a Surrey Park, keeping food out of rats' and mice's hands is key to preventing issues.
- Store your dried goods in sealed containers, and not anywhere on the ground or where a rodent could easily get to.
- Take any park picnic leftovers home and put them in your organics cart, or throw them out in a park garbage can.
- Keep your garbage and organics carts clean and closed.
- Keep your BBQ clean and put away any leftovers right away.
- Put pet food dishes out inside - avoid leaving them out on your porch.
- Store your pet food securely, and preferrably inside.
- If you're a restaurant owner, make sure to manage your commercial waste bin well
Watch your yard and garden
- Grow mint: Rats hate mint and many other herbal smells, so get your garden growing with these herbs.
- Pick your vegetables from your garden often - they can otherwise be tasty treats for rodents.
- Use rodent-proof bird feeders and sweep up any bird seed that falls on the ground.
Rats and mice are just two kinds of pests that can cause problems in Surrey. Learn about other pests in Surrey and what you can do to prevent or deal with them.