You need a Sign Permit in Surrey for any
- awning, or
- canopy signs
that will be displayed.
How to apply
Complete the Sign Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey's Building Division.
Professionals you may need
Engineered drawings signed and sealed by a Registered Professional are required for fascia signs weighing over 68 kg (150 lbs); freestanding signs over 2.5 m (8'-2") in height, awning, and canopy signs; and signs where the complexity and extent require Registered Professional involvement.
Prior to the issuance of a Sign Permit, you may require the following permits:
- a Building Permit for new awning or canopy installations;
- a Building Permit for a new tenant occupying a new/existing space;
- a Development Permit for new freestanding signs; and
- a Development Variance Permit if the proposal exceeds the requirements of the Sign By-law.
Include the following documents with your Sign Permit application:
- a Sign Permit Application Form;
- an Owner Authorization Form;
- a Schedule B for the “Structural” discipline (if applicable); and
- a By-law & Licensing Inquiry Form.
Two sets of drawings that include:
- a site plan;
- an elevation drawing/photograph (colour copies printed on standard paper sizes);
- a copy drawing (colour copies);
- a cross section;
- a photograph of the building face showing the location of existing signage (colour copies printed on standard paper sizes); and
- signed and sealed Structural engineered drawings (if applicable)
- fascia signs weighing over 68 kg (150 lbs);
- freestanding signs over 2.5 m (8’-2”) in height;
- awning and canopy signs; and
- signs where the complexity and extent require Registered Professional involvement.
Please refer to the Sign Permit Application Guide for examples of acceptable drawings.
The non-refundable processing fee that is required upon application will be credited towards the Sign Permit fee if the proposal is approved.
If applicable, the following fees may also apply to the Sign Permit:
- Electrical Permit fee (if applicable, a separate electrical permit is required);
- Development Permit Minor Amendment fee; and
- Removal Bond (Temporary Signs).
Other permit information
- Sign Permit Process
- City of Surrey Sign By-law No. 13656; and
- Applicable Development Permits and/or Development Variance Permits (consult Area Planning to review approved permits).
- Building and Business Information
- Related Permits
- Electrical Permit
- Building Permit
- Development Permit
- Development Variances Permit
Sign Permit Process
To expedite the sign permit application process, please ensure the proposed signage complies with the following:
Building and Business Information
Sign Permit does not grant building occupancy or authorize business operations. Final approval of the subject Tenant Improvement Building Permit and a Business License are required.