Building Permit for Building a Deck
The construction of a deck is subject to the City of Surrey’s Zoning Bylaw and the BC Building Code.
In most cases, you need a building permit when constructing a deck addition on a house.
How to apply
Complete the Building Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey’s Building Division. Basic information about the property will also be requested at the time of application.
Printer friendly Guide to Applying for a Building Permit for a Deck.
Include the following documents with your Deck Permit application:
- a Building Permit Application Form;
- a current Title Search of the property;
- an Owner Authorization Form (if Applicant is not the registered Owner);
- a complete set of drawings including a site plan, foundation plan, floor plan, cross section, and elevations at the appropriate scales;
- payment of the permit fee; and
- a damage deposit (if required).
Include the following plans with your Deck Permit application:
- one (1) set of plans:
- all applicable site plan(s), foundation plan(s), floor plan(s), cross section(s); and
- elevation drawings.
All plans and information submitted must be legible and at a suitable quality for scanning. Minimum size 11" x 17" sheets are required (24" x 36" preferred). Blueprint paper, vellum, or graph paper will not be accepted. Drawings in colour ink or in pencil will not be accepted. Drawings should not be laminated. Reversed plans are not acceptable.
Refer to the Building Permit for a Deck guide for more details and drawings and requirements for the deck permit.
The Building Permit fee is due at the time of application for your Deck Permit. You must also be prepared to submit a damage deposit, if required.
After you apply
Once the plan reviewer is satisfied that all the requirements have been met, the permit will be issued and the Applicant will be notified. You will be required to have the approved drawing set onsite at all times during construction.
The Trees and Landscape Department will also review the application to determine if there are any tree protection requirements that must be fulfilled.
Other permit information
- Related Permits
- Interior Renovation Permit
- Basement Finishing Permit
- Swimming Pool Permit
- Residential Storange Tank Removal