Illegal dumping is a serious and growing problem in Surrey. It's not just a city beautification issue, it's an issue that can have many other effects, on the environment and on you as a Surrey resident.
How to report illegal dumping
There are three ways to report incidents of illegal dumping on public property:
- Call the Engineering Service Request Line at 604-591-4152.
- Use Surrey's online tool for reporting illegal dumping.
- Use our Surrey Request App
One of our City representatives will investigate the complaint and if appropriate, will enforce City by-laws relating to the unlawful dumping, or accumulated garbage.
Garbage dumped illegally on private property or vacant lots
Properties in the City of Surrey have to be maintained at an acceptable level. Examples of items considered unsightly in The Surrey Property Maintenance and Unsightly Premises By-law, 2007, No. 16393include:
- Accumulation of junk,
- Discarded materials and garbage,
- Dead landscaping,
- Uncontrolled growth of landscaping, and
- Deterioration of fences, buildings or other structures.
Make an online complaint about an unsightly property or contact us at 604-591-4370.
Negative effects of illegal dumping
Illegal dumping makes up only 0.012 percent of the total annual solid waste generated in the City but can have serious effects on the environment, wildlife habitat and the ability of others to use and enjoy outdoor recreational areas. Illegal dumping also:
- Increases health risks - Abandoned and decaying garbage attracts rats and other disease-carrying creatures.
- Increases environmental risks - Illegal dumping of hazardous waste contaminates soil and water.
- Increases costs - Collecting abandoned garbage costs money, which is passed onto to taxpayers.
- Encourages more dumping - Abandoned garbage, even small amounts, becomes a full-scale dumpsite in only a few days. Allowing garbage to accumulate on vacant lots, in front and backyards and green spaces only makes the problem worse.
- Contributes to other illegal activity - Tolerating illegal dumping sends a message to violators that these and other types of non-desirable activities are OK in your neighborhood.