Skip navigation

Temporary Construction Power

Temporary Construction Services

  1. Visit the Electrical Section Bulletins & Forms page to view a PDF copy of our Permit Application and fee schedule.
  2. Visit the Online Electrical Permit Application to see your online permits:

    To ensure safe construction working environments, all construction sites requiring temporary power from sources other than small portable generators will require a separate electrical permit called a Temporary Construction Power Permit (TCP). This permit must be obtained by a licensed electrical contractor prior to the start of construction. The TCP will be the responsibility of the permit holder during the use of this temporary power. Power obtained from neighboring homes will not be accepted by our inspection department unless a TCP is obtained.

    Support Documents,

    Date of Issue: 1st November, 2007

    The following Directive provides guidance on the interpretation, application and operation regarding issues pertaining to the appropriate Section of the 20th Edition of the BC Electrical Code.

    76-000 Scope

    Section 76 of the BCEC applies to temporary wiring installations for buildings under construction or demolition. This includes all installations serviced by a temporary power service. For equipment utilized in dry locations fed from a permanent power service located in a dry location, the wiring is not considered temporary, so the provisions of this section will not apply. (For residential construction, this would be at lock-up). Temporary distribution panels are not considered permanent, and are therefore subject to the rules in Section 76.

    Completed CRUs or residential units located in completed buildings may be required to provide GFCI should conditions exist such as wet areas, unsafe equipment observed by the inspector regardless of the notes above.

    76-016 Receptacles

    Construction sites utilize flexible wiring, such as extension cords, that is exposed to more severe duty and weather than permanent installations. In addition, if an adequate grounding system is not present, then the shock hazard to workers rises significantly. It is for this reason that 15 A (style 5-15R) and 20 A (style 5-20RA) receptacles installed on temporary wiring installations are required to be GFCI protected. Receptacles connected to the permanent wiring system that are not in the scope of Section 76 must still follow all other applicable rules of the BC Electrical Code. Particularly, any receptacle in an outdoor location must be weather protected as required in 26-702, and for residential service must also be GFCI protected as required in 26-710 (o).

    Application for variance

    If a general contractor on a building site wishes to use an assured grounding program suitable to WorkSafeBC instead of GFCIs as required in 76-016, then the electrical contractor may apply for a variance. No fees will be charged for this variance. As conditions of the variance, a copy of the approved assured grounding program must be posted at the job site with the electrical permit, and all workers on site must follow the posted assured grounding program.