Skip navigation

Community Care Facilities License Inspection Request

Young children painting at the Surrey Children's Festival

We conduct safety inspections of community care facilities, on behalf of the Fraser Health Authority, as part of the Community Care Facilities Licensing Process.

Community Care Facilities Inspection Process

Prior to contacting the City of Surrey for inspections for child (daycare), or adult care, facilities an application must be made with Fraser Health. After an initial review of the application submitted to our office by a Fraser Health Licensing Officer we will contact you to arrange for payment for inspections. You will be contacted within 5 to 10 business days of the City receiving your application. Make sure you've been contacted by City of Surrey Building Inspections staff before submitting your payment.

Paying your inspection fee

As of February 4, 2013, a fee ($113 plus applicable taxes) will be required by the City to conduct safety inspections on behalf of the Fraser Health Community Care Facilities Licensing.

There are 2 ways to pay for your inspection fee:

Once the payment has been accepted you may contact the Building Inspections section (604-591-4231, press "0") to arrange for inspections by the Building, Electrical, and Fire Department inspectors. Once all inspection areas have submitted their results a letter will be sent to the Fraser Health office, as well as to the applicant, to advise of any deficiencies that require correction. It is the responsibility of the applicant to correct any deficiencies and recall the inspection to the appropriate department. An approval letter will be sent out after all items have been corrected.

To avoid delays in your inspection request processing,

  • make sure the zoning of the proposed facility permits a child care use for the number of children requested, and
  • check that all building and construction work (including electrical work that's been done in the proposed facility) has a City permit, where a permit is required.

Re-inspection fees may apply if you are not at the proposed facility location to meet the City inspector for a scheduled inspection. If a City inspector has to attend the proposed facility location more than 2 times, re-inspection fees may apply.

Review your Community Care Facility application package provided to applicants by FHA for details on what's included in the City of Surrey inspections. Please note we do not do inspections of possible locations prior to receiving an application for a Community Care Facility.

Contact our Building Inspections team by email at or by phone at 604-591-4231 with any questions on the Community Care Facilities License Inspection, or paying your Community Care Facilities License Inspection request feeonline.