Surrey Announces Inaugural City Awards Program
June 28, 2011
For immediate release
Surrey, BC – Surrey is pleased to announce the launch of the 2011 City Awards Program – a family of awards created to celebrate excellence in urban design and sustainable community development.
The City Awards Program will recognize the citizens, community groups, businesses and developers who are making outstanding contributions to the community. The establishment of the Awards Program is part of the City’s ongoing commitment to programs and initiatives that support its vibrant community, promote modern urban development, and protect and enhance the environment.
“I am consistently impressed by the remarkable things happening in and around Surrey,” says Mayor Dianne Watts. “It’s an exciting time for our City and the City Awards Program is an excellent way to highlight the people and projects that are leading the way as Surrey evolves into British Columbia’s next major metropolitan centre.”
The five award categories are:
- NewCity Design Award: Recognizing Excellence in City Building
- Clean Energy City Award: Recognizing Innovation in Energy Conservation and Efficiency
- Heart in the City Award: Honouring Selfless Acts of Community Spirit
- Beautiful City Award: Celebrating Outstanding Contributions in Community Beautification
- Green City Award: Recognizing Environmental Leaders who Take Action & Inspire
Candidates may be nominated or submitted from June 29 to September 9, 2011. Award recipients will be recognized by Mayor and Council on October 25, 2011 during the City Awards reception.
Nomination and submission details are available on the Program’s website at www.surrey.ca/awards
For more information contact
Civic Beautification Coordinator