Avril Flather is Named Good Citizen of the Year
May 25, 2011
Surrey – Mayor Dianne Watts and Surrey City Council presented Surrey’s Avril Flather with the 2011 Good Citizen of the Year Award last night at the City’s annual volunteer services celebration. The event was established by Surrey City Council and honours all committee volunteers for their dedication and hard work throughout the year.
“The City of Surrey is very fortunate to have so many talented and dedicated volunteers who contribute their time and energy to help build the spirit of our city and make Surrey an even better place to live,” says Mayor Dianne Watts. “Surrey is thriving and that is a testament to people like Avril Flather who demonstrate the power of individuals to shape the communities in which they live.”
Avril has been working tirelessly for the City of Surrey for many years. Some of her legacies include:
- Helped found Panorama Ridge Ratepayers
- Helped found Panorama Ridge Riding Club
- Helped found Pony Club at Panorama Ridge Riding Club
- Helped acquire Big Toy for JT Brown School
- Served on Heritage Advisory Committee
- Editor of the 1989 version of “Book of Surrey’s Heritage”
- Served on Public Art Advisory Committee
The Good Citizen of the Year Award recipient is chosen by Council and is presented to a City of Surrey resident who has given outstanding services for the betterment of the community.
- 30 -
Senior Communications Specialist
Office of the Mayor