Google Translate
Translation – Explanation and Caution

The electronic translation service on the City of Surrey’s web site is hosted by Google Translate. The quality of the translation may vary in some of the languages offered by Google. The goal of the basic translation is to capture the general intention of the original English material.

Google Translate is a free service and currently offers translation in over 50 languages. Unfortunately, not all the languages spoken in the City of Surrey are translated. Punjabi is one of the languages not currently offered, and to remedy the situation, the City has been in contact with Google and they have committed to making Punjabi available in the future.

The City of Surrey cannot guarantee the quality, accuracy, or completeness of any translated information. Before you act on translated information, the City encourages you to confirm any facts that are important to you and the decisions you make.

The City of Surrey offers interpretation services at all its facilities. If you have a question about the material you read on our web site, we encourage you to stop by a City facilities to discuss it. You can also contact the City at (604) 591-4011 to receive interpretation support.

The City is committed to enhancing the accessibility of its web site to all its citizens, and appreciates any feedback that it receives.

Chinese, Korean, Punjabi, Tagalog, Hindi

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

When is election day?
What are the dates/where are the locations for advanced voting? 
Am I qualified to vote in the municipal election? 
Am I on the Voters List? 
How do I register to vote? 
Where do I vote? 
Is there assistance for English as second language citizens? 
What if I am physically unable to attend a voting station?
How can I assist in the next municipal election?

When is election day?

Municipal elections are held on the third Saturday of November every three years. The next municipal election is being held on Saturday November 19th, 2011.

What are the dates/where are the locations for advanced voting?

Advance polls are generally held the first week in November at convenient voting locations throughout the City. A schedule and map will be available closer to voting day.

Am I qualified to vote in the municipal election?

Two types of people can vote in municipal elections in British Columbia: resident electors and non-resident electors.

You qualify as a non-resident elector if you are

  • 18 years of age or older
  • A Canadian citizen
  • A resident of British Columbia for at least six months prior to registration
  • A registered owner of real property in Surrey for at least 30 days prior to registration, and
  • Unable to otherwise register as a Resident Elector

NOTE: A non-resident elector must provide proof of ownership at the time of registration and have written consent if more than one person owns the property

Consent Form for Non-Resident Property Owners [INSERT LINK TO PDF]

Am I on the Voters List?

The City of Surrey uses the Provincial Voters List.  To find out if you are on the Voters List contact Elections BC.  Approximately 60 days prior to the municipal election, the City is provided with a list of voters from Elections BC.  Anyone not on the list at that time will have to register at the time of voting, with the appropriate identification.

How do I register to vote? 

If you are not on the Voters' List but are qualified to vote as a resident elector at advance voting or on voting day you may register at your designated voting place.

You must bring at least two documents that provide evidence of your identity and place of residence. At least one of the documents must contain your photo and signature. You must be prepared to sign a solemn declaration as to your place of residence.

Only the following list of documents will be accepted as valid identification

  • British Columbia Driver’s Licence
  • British Columbia Identification Card issued by the BC Motor Vehicles Branch
  • Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle License issued by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
  • British Columbia Care Card or British Columbia Gold Care Card
  • Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form (SDES8)
  • Social Insurance Card
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Valid Canadian passport
  • Real property tax notice issued under s. 269 of the Local Government Act or s. 21 of the Taxation (Rural Area) Act
  • Credit or Debit card issued by a savings institution as defined in s. 29 of the Interpretation Act, or
  • Utility bill issued for the supply of electricity, natural gas, water, telephone services or coaxial cable service by
  • A public utility as defined in s. 1 of the Utilities Commission Act
    • A gas utility as defined in s. 1 of the Gas Utility Act
    • A water utility as defined in s. 1 of the Water Act, the British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority, or
    • A corporation licensed by the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission for the purposes of that supply.

 Where do I vote?

In November 2011, you have the option of voting at any of our 52 locations. In October you will receive a voting card by mail that confirms that you are on the voter's list, and lists all of the advance voting options.  In addition a voting map showing all locations for General Voting Day will be provided. Bring the Voter's card with you when you come to vote. For more information, visit our Election website.

Is there assistance for English as a second language citizens?



If you have difficulty reading or writing English, you may bring a translator to assist you in the voting process.  The translator must complete a declaration of assistance in order to provide translation assistance.

What if I am physically unable to attend a voting station?



The City of Surrey provides the option of mail ballot voting. The only electors who may vote by mail ballot are the following:

  • People who expect to be absent from the City of Surrey on general voting day and at the times of all advance voting opportunities.

You may apply for a mail ballot from the City Clerk. Check back for more instructions closer to election day.

Applications for mail ballots will be available online, or can be obtained by emailing a request to, by phoning the City Clerk's office at 604 591-4132, or attending Surrey City Hall, 14245 – 56 Avenue, Surrey, B.C. V3X 3A2

How can I assist in the next municipal election?

You may apply to the City of Surrey as temporary Election Staff to assist at the polling stations during the municipal election. This is a paid position. Applications online will be available in the Spring of 2011. All hiring for the 2011 will be conducted by the City Clerk's Office. A test may be administered to determine the level of qualification of applicants.