I believe that relevant and accessible community services are integral to building and sustaining a thriving city and I continue to make furthering those services a priority. The City of Surrey has a role to play in improving the health of our residents through education, physical fitness and social networking opportunities, while advocating the provincial health authorities for services that are in line with the City’s needs.
My vision is that every resident has the right to belong, and that all are welcome. I believe it is through understanding our differences that we can see our commonalities.
I am proud to have been elected to Council in 2005 and I work hard to ensure the City of Surrey sets an example for other municipalities to emulate. As a resident of this City for the past 21 years, I feel blessed to live in such a beautiful and dynamic place and as a City Councillor I am honoured to serve its residents.
- Ensuring our residents, both young and old, have access to adequate park space, community programs, arts and culture;
- Working to facilitate the development of parks, facilities, services and events while embracing and fostering diversity, community identity and ensuring accessibility and exclusivity;
- Championing environmental and cultural stewardship;
- Encouraging and supporting both individual and community wellness initiatives;
- Developing, delivering and preserving cultural and educational resources.
- Finance Committee
- Police Committee
- Diversity Advisory Committee (Chair)
- Intergovernmental Affairs
- Community Health Programs Committee (Chair)
- Mayor’s Committee on Beautification & Town Centre Development
- Mayor's Gala Liaison
Additional Community Organizations
- Semiahmoo House Society (Board Member)
- Surrey Memorial Hospital Foundation (Board Member and City Liaison)
- Fraser Health/Municipal Government Advisory Council (Representative)
- Healthier Community Partnership Council (Co-Chair)
- Surrey Hospice Society (Honorary Board Member)
- Centre for Child Development (Director)
- Participated on the Multicultural Advisory Committee to promote understanding and provide insight into Surrey’s rich ethnic diversity through events such as the Fusion Festival
- Worked to ensure the City of Surrey achieved its Cultural Capitals of Canada designation in 2008
- Recognized the incredible growth of the City and through the Build Surrey Program has supported new amenities such as the Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre, the addition of artificial turf fields, the Bear Creek Park Seniors Centre expansion, the Newton Community Centre expansion and the Cloverdale Recreation Centre (February 2011)
- Advocated for the first Boys and Girls Club established in the City of Surrey
- Supported the establishment of the Surrey Orchestra
- Advocated for funding from the City for the Surrey Memorial Hospital New Emergency Tower Project
Office Phone: (604) 591-4622
Residence Phone: (604) 536-9068