In the 29 years I’ve had the privilege to call Surrey my home, I’ve watched it grow from a bedroom community deeply rooted in its agricultural history to a nationally leading city which has uniquely been able to stay true to its agricultural roots while developing into a thriving, dynamic and diverse city that offers its residents the options required of a truly well-rounded lifestyle.
I am truly rooted in the community of Surrey and I’m proud to call it my home. My commitment to this community is a product of a life nurtured right here, having worked for the city for 20 years, most recently as its manager of Economic Development, before being elected to Council in 2005. I know the streets I walk on in Surrey, and I’ve seen and been part of the transformation of our city from the ground up.
As your Councillor, I am guided by the unwavering belief that I want to continue to live in a well-balanced community that provides jobs for its residents and promotes economic viability, sustainability and liveability. I’m proud to be serving as a member of the Surrey First Coalition to effect positive change and manage the dynamics of this growing city so as to achieve the goals that I believe all Surrey residents value. I want my decision-making to add value through honest and open dialogue.
As a wife, grandmother, mother and stepmother, I look forward to continuing to build Surrey’s reputation as a destination for families, as well as individuals and businesses seeking a city with endless employment, social, cultural and economic opportunities.
- Advocating for the inclusion of approximately 468 acres into the regional Green Zone as conservation/recreational area
- Spearheading the continued economic development of Surrey’s City Centre through the organization of the annual Regional Economic Summit and advancing the Mayor’s Investment Action Plan
- Spearheading the Clean Energy & Technology Action Plan
- Representing Surrey on a regional level through ongoing participation on the Metro Vancouver Board of Directors, the Regional Planning and Agriculture Committee, and the Utilities Committee.
- Finance Committee
- Police Committee
- Parks, Recreation & Sport Tourism (Chair)
- Agriculture & Food Security Advisory (Chair)
- Mayor's Committee Red Tape Reduction (Chair)
- Economic Summit (Co-Chair)
- Mayor’s Committee on Beautification & Town Centre Development
- Surrey Homelessness & Housing Society
- Surrey Development Corporation (Director)
- Surrey Tourism Association (Director)
- Downtown Surrey Business Improvement Association (Liaison)
- Surrey Board of Trade (Liaison)
- Spearheaded the revitalization drive of Whalley as Past Chair of the city’s Whalley Implementation Team
- Managed creation of the Surrey Tourism and Convention Association
- Established a two per cent hotel tax to fund tourism initiatives
- Led the acquisition of the ocean view property of Camp Kwomais in South Surrey
- Chaired the past two Regional Economic Summit which welcomed the likes of Rudy Giuliani and Tony Blair
- Earned national and international attention on Surrey’s marketing efforts
- Managed 2010 Legacy Projects, which included Holland Park Expansion and Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre
- Advocated for Arts Centre in Newton in former Fire Hall
Office phone: (604) 591-4626
Residence phone: (604) 535-1089