Be prepared for storm season
October 12, 2016
For immediate release: October 12, 2016
Environment Canada has posted a special weather statement for a series of powerful storms bringing heavy rain and strong winds approaching the South Coast in the coming days.
With all severe storms, emergency responders and utility crews will be working hard to provide service. To ensure resources are used appropriately only call 911 for life threatening emergencies. For any issues such as branches and trees on the roadway, low water pressure or any non-emergency situation that is impacting City infrastructure (including parks), please call 604-591-4152 to report the issue.
Residents of Surrey can prepare for these storms and associated power outages with a few simple steps:
- Have cell phones charged
- Ensure flashlights have batteries installed
- Ensure adequate food and water supplies
- Use candles with care
- If generators are used, ensure they are located outside and away from windows and doors
- Move any loose items from yards and secure properly
- Stay off the roads and drive only when absolutely required
By taking a few simple precautions we can help alleviate some of the risks associated with severe storms and keep our community safe.
Surrey Fire Service
City of Surrey