Agriculture & Food Security Advisory Committee
The Agriculture and Food Security Advisory Committee, formerly known as the Agricultural Advisory Committee, assists City Council in developing a plan to sustain the agricultural community and improve agricultural viability in Surrey.
See the complete mandate of the Committee in the Agriculture and Food Security Advisory Committee Terms of Reference.
- Committee Chair: Councillor Mike Starchuk
Role of Agriculture and Food Security Advisory Committee
In 1995, the City of Surrey became the first municipality in the Lower Mainland to establish an Agricultural Advisory Committee. Today, Surrey's Agriculture and Food Security Advisory Committee (AFSAC) is one of the longest functioning in the province.
The AFSAC plays a prominent role in protecting, enhancing, and promoting agriculture. The AFSAC has:
- assisted with the development of agricultural policies in the Official Community Plan;
- played an active role in Surrey's land development review process and preparation of Neighbourhood Plans;
- supported investment in a comprehensive flood control strategy for the Nicomekl and Serpentine watersheds;
- promoted initiatives to increase the viability and productivity of farms and the farming community;
- implemented measures to address conflict in the rural-urban interface;
- promoted best agricultural practices for farm operations;
- reviewed and made recommendations to Council regarding subdivisions, rezonings, and development applications in and adjacent to the ALR; and
- prepared the Surrey Agricultural Plan.
Consult the Metro Vancouver Agriculture website (New window) for information on Metro Vancouver's Agriculture Committee.
Committee Meeting Schedule
Committee meetings are generally held once a month. See the Agriculture and Food Security Advisory Committee Meeting Schedule for dates.
Surrey Farmers' Institute
The Surrey Farmers' Institute is a proactive voice for farmers of Surrey. It provides nominations to the Surrey Agriculture and Food Security Advisory Committee and often identifies issues and concerns for the AFSAC's agenda. The Surrey Farmers' Institute may also handle issues that extend beyond the mandate of the City-appointed AFSAC.
Farm Tours (by invitation only)
Each summer, for the past several years, Surrey's Agriculture and Food Security Advisory Committee has hosted an annual Surrey Farm Tour to broaden awareness of the importance and success of agriculture in Surrey. The annual Farm Tour showcases several innovative and leading agricultural operations located within Surrey, and provides opportunities for staff and persons representing many perspectives to meet, exchange ideas, and talk about the future of agriculture in the city.
Surrey 2005 Farm Tour