Social Policy Advisory Committee (SPAC)
The purpose of the Social Policy Advisory Committee (SPAC) is to provide advice to Council to enhance the social well-being of Surrey residents. The SPAC is formerly known as the Social Planning Advisory Committee.
Learn more about the purpose and structure of the Committee in the Social Policy Advisory Committee Terms of Reference.
To advise and make recommendations to Council on policies, priorities, new initiatives and direction to maintain and improve the social well-being of Surrey residents.
- To hear and respond to delegations by community groups, social service agencies and others and make recommendations to Council.
- To advise and make recommendations to Council on the implementation of the Plan for the Social Well-Being of Surrey Residents.
- To liaise, on behalf of Council, with public and private agencies including senior governments, to encourage the provision of programs and services for Surrey residents.
- To facilitate and encourage collaboration and coordination between Surrey-based agencies and groups.
- To consider other social planning issues as may be referred by Council.
- Housing and Homelessness
- Children and Youth
- Poverty Reduction
- New Immigrants and Refugees
- Other community/social issues and initiatives
The SPAC meets on the first Wednesday of every month.
View the Social Policy Advisory Committee 2017 meeting schedule.
Contact the City Clerk’s Office, at 604 591-4132 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in submitting information for the SPAC to review or are interested in appearing before the Committee as a delegation.
The Committee is made up of 9 community members, one representative from Simon Fraser University, one representative from Kwantlen Polytechnic University, City staff (Social Planning) and a City Councillor appointed by Mayor.
- Chair - Councillor Judy Villeneuve
- Vice Chair- Councillor Vera LeFranc
- Wafa Al-Jabiri
- Kiran Dhesa
- Steve Dooley
- Christine Mohr
- June Liu (Youth Representative)
- Jas Parmar
- Lynne Rhead
- Michelle Shaw
- Jodi Sturge
- Karanvir Thiara
- Dale Toor
- Monie Tutt (Youth Representative)
Committee members are appointed by City Council and serve for a 3-year term. When vacancies occur, the positions are advertised on the City's website and in local newspapers in October.
New members are appointed each December. Contact the City Clerk’s Office, at 604 591-4132 or email email@example.com for more information.
Image: from left to right, back row: Devinder Chattha, Esmir Milavic, Jodi Sturge, Jeff Calbick, Karanvir Thiara, middle row: Steve Dooley, Linda Coyle, Dale Toor, front row: Councillor Judy Villeneuve, Michelle Shaw, Lynne Rhead, missing: Jas Parmar, Kiran Dhesa, June Liu.
Minutes of meetings are recorded and forwarded to Regular Council meetings as information and, where recommendations are included in the minutes, for approval by City Council.