City Launches Mobile-Friendly Website
May 8, 2013
Surrey, BC: The City of Surrey unveiled its new and improved mobile-friendly website today as part of ongoing efforts to enhance customer service and improve communication.
The new responsive web design provides optimal viewing on all devices, whether it is a smartphone, tablet or any sized desktop monitor. It includes easy reading and navigation with minimal resizing, scrolling and panning. The design also allows for seamless, efficient and integrated analytics supported by search engines such as Google.
“Digital technology is changing the way cities are able deliver services, so it’s important to have a website that is mobile-friendly and functions on all devices,” said Mayor Dianne Watts. “The new design makes it easier for citizens to interact with the City, which will simplify customer service and enhance productivity.”
The City reviewed its website data and found that 1.48 million people visited the site in 2012, and visits from a mobile device were up 150 per cent during the first quarter of this year. In total, 30 per cent of all visits now come from a mobile device.
“More people are accessing information and services through their mobile devices, which come in different shapes and sizes. In order to continue to effectively communicate with residents and businesses, we need a website that adapts to the changing mobile world,” says Councillor Bruce Hayne, who sits on the City’s Investment and Innovation Committee.
Implementing responsive web design is the latest step in the City’s ongoing effort to streamline business processes, improve customer service, and advance innovative digital technology. Other services include:
- COSMOS: offers Surrey property information through an easy-to-use map interface
- SeeClickFix: allows residents to submit requests and report issues from their mobile device
- Art Walk: connects residents to public art around the City
- My-Waste App: instant access and reminders for waste collection schedules and services
- Mobile Building Inspections: request, view & receive building inspection notifications
- GoSurrey App: quick and easy ways to find recreation activities and locations
For more information, please visit www.surrey.ca/onlineservices .
Senior Communications Specialist
Office of the Mayor