City Raises Awareness About Substance Abuse
May 08, 2012
Surrey – The City of Surrey proclaimed May 27 – June 2 as Substance Use Awareness Week during last night’s Council meeting. The week will include a variety of events designed to increase public awareness about signs and symptoms of substance use, and supply resources on how to get help.
“Drugs and alcohol abuse have a devastating effect on families and communities,” says Mayor Dianne Watts. “We want parents and loved ones to be able to recognize the dangers and signs of substance use, and know where they can get the support and resources that are available to them.”
The following events will take place prior to and during Substance Use Awareness Week:
- A showing of the movie “Bad Medicine” or “Kharaab Daru” will be held on May 22 between 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm at Kwantlen Polytechnic University. The movie discusses alcohol’s role within the South Asian Culture and a panel of experts will be on hand to answer questions
- Information booths will be set up at the Kwantlen Mental Health and Addictions Fair on May 22 between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm, and at Central City Mall on May 31 between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm to provide information to the public about the harms of substance use and how to find help
- An evening workshop called “Loving an Addict, Loving Yourself” will be held at the White Rock Community Centre on May 30 from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- SOURCES Community Resource Society will launch its YouTube channel, which contains a series of engaging and entertaining videos aimed at increasing awareness about substance use among youth and their parents
Businesses and community groups are also being encouraged to host their own awareness events.
Themed fact sheets will be posted daily on the City’s Crime Reduction Strategy Website and distributed through social media. The themes are:
- Sunday, May 27: Prescription Medications
- Monday, May 28: Substance Use and Body Image
- Tuesday, May 29: A Closer Look at Process Addictions
- Wednesday, May 30: Parenting
- Thursday, May 31: Cool Refusal Skills
- Friday, June 1: Soft? Social? Natural? Drugs – Are they really?
- Saturday, June 2: Substance Use and Older Adults
The second annual Substance Use Awareness Week is a partnership between the City of Surrey, the Alcohol and Drug Education Services, B.C. Responsible and Problem Gambling Program, DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society, Fraser Health Authority, Klay-how-ya, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Options Community Services Society, Pacific Community Resources Society, SOURCES Community Resources Society, and the Surrey School District.
For more information, please visit: www.surrey.ca/crimereduction.
- 30 -
Senior Communications Specialist
Office of the Mayor